Tattoos are a big investment, and they can be very expensive, so it’s understandable that you’d want to do everything you can to keep them looking like they did from the very beginning, so here are the best sunscreens you can use for your tattoos.
- Can I wear sunscreen on my tattoo?
- Do I need to protect my tattoo from the Sun?
- Safest Sunscreens for Tattoos
- Final thoughts
Can I wear sunscreen on my tattoo?
Many people are sceptical about applying products to their tattoos, and sunscreen is one of them. It’s probably due to the media, and how quickly misinformation can spread through it, but many people seem to think sunscreens can cause damage to their tattoos, such as causing them to fade.
However, this isn’t actually the case, and wearing a sunscreen will not cause your tattoo to fade at all, so there is no danger that comes from wearing it on top of your ink. Sunscreens, whether mineral or chemical, are made to give your skin a layer of protection against the Sun, and that’s all they will do in this case, so you don’t need to worry about them interfering with the pigments and ink in your tattoos.
Although this is the case, you do need to keep in mind that new tattoos should be left until they’ve healed before applying any sunscreen to them. This is because a fresh tattoo is essentially an open wound, and the chemicals and ingredients contained in a sunscreen can get into this if they are applied before the tattoo is healed, and this can potentially cause a reaction. But, once the tattoo has healed, there’s no problem with using a sunscreen.
Do I need to protect my tattoo from the Sun?
Now that we know you can, in fact, wear a sunscreen over the top of the tattoo, here’s another question which you may not know the answer to: do I need to protect my tattoo from the Sun? While many people worry about the effects of sunscreen itself on their tattoos, not many consider the potential damage cause by the Sun, and this is something worth looking at, too.
The truth is that yes, over time and repeated sun exposure whilst your skin is unprotected, your tattoo can fade much faster than it otherwise would. The reason for this is to do with the fact that, whenever you go outside, your skin absorbs the ultraviolet rays emitted by the Sun, and this is what causes all the problems associated with sun damage. As well as this damage, the UV rays can also interfere with the pigments in your ink, as they will basically break up the bonds holding it together.
For this reason, it’s actually important to wear a sunscreen all over your body to protect your skin from the Sun but preserving your tattoo should also be an incentive. Here are some of the best sunscreens for your tattoos.
Safest Sunscreens for Tattoos
La Roche Posay Anthelios Melt-In Milk Sunscreen SPF 100
- SPF 100 sunscreen for face and body, specifically formulated to help protect skin that burns easily. Ideal for: face + ears, nose, scalp + hairline, arms + hands, full body, neck + chest.
- The only oxybenzone-free SPF 100 Sunscreen with Cell-Ox Shield Technology: broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection with antioxidants.
If you click Buy on Amazon and make a purchase, I'll earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Firstly, this sunscreen has an impressive SPF 100 protection from the Sun, perfect for someone who’s paranoid about their tattoo getting burned or fading due to sun exposure. Luckily, with this sunscreen, there is room for error during application, as it’s so strong that even if you haven’t applied it completely perfectly, you’ll still be getting some quality protection anyway.
One of the best things about this sunscreen is that it has a smooth, melt-in formula, meaning it’s really easy to spread across your skin, and it also feels lightweight and bearable on your skin. These are two big advantages, and they prevent you from avoiding your sunscreen due to how it feels on your skin. It’s also reef-safe, so you can wear it whilst swimming in the sea with its 80-minute water resistance without worrying about the impact you may have on the environment.
CeraVe 100% Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50
- [ BROAD SPECTRUM UV PROTECTION ] 100% Mineral-based sunscreen, also known as a physical sunscreen, reflects UVA/UVB rays to protect the skin
- [ 3 ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES TO LOCK IN MOISTURE ] Formulated with three essential ceramides (1, 3, 6-II) that help restore the skin’s natural barrier and lock in moisture long after
If you click Buy on Amazon and make a purchase, I'll earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.CeraVe are a brilliant skincare brand for producing formulas which are simple yet effective, and they never fail to please in terms of feeling great and leaving you with great results. If you’ve ever tried any of their skincare range, you were probably impressed, and you’ll definitely like this sunscreen.
If you worry about your sensitive skin getting irritated by a sunscreen, this one is perfect, as you don’t run any risk of irritation thanks to its sensitive skin-friendly formula. The skin around your tattoo, especially if it’s reasonably new, can still be a bit sensitive, even if the tattoo itself has fully healed, so using this sunscreen prevents any skin concerns.
The formula is also hydrating, so you’ll know that your skin is being protected by one of the best sunscreens available, and you don’t even have to worry about applying a moisturiser 24/7.
Sun Bum Original Sunscreen Spray SPF 50
- ORIGINAL SPF 50 SUNSCREEN SPRAY . This is the stuff we use every day. The sunscreen that started it all and smells like summer. We wanted a sunscreen to protect those who live and love in the sun, so we made it.
- MOISTURIZING SUN PROTECTION. Dermatologist and Sonny approved, this non-comedogenic sunscreen delivers UVA/UVB protection and is packed with Vitamin E. Our oil-free, water-resistant and reef friendly SPF 30 Spray is great for all skin types.
If you click Buy on Amazon and make a purchase, I'll earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.Sun bum are a go-to brand for so many people, as all of their products come with high quality ingredients and never fail to meet the claims they make. Not to mention, the price is affordable and there are so many things to draw you to their products. F0or example, this original sunscreen spray is vegan, reef-safe, moisturising, broad-spectrum, hypoallergenic, gluten-free, cruelty-free and paraben-free – pretty impressive, right?
Sunscreens that come in spray formulas like this one are so convenient, and can often be more failproof than others, as they are easy to apply, and touch up if you miss a spot. For maximum protection for the entire day, the recommendation is to apply 15 minutes before going outside, and then re-applying it every two hours, to ensure the sunscreen is always 100% effective. It’s water-resistant for 80 minutes, so it’s also best to re-apply after you go for a swim, as well.
Neutrogena Beach Defense Body Sunscreen Stick SPF 50+
- 1.5-ounces of Neutrogena Beach Defense Sunscreen Stick with Broad Spectrum SPF 50+ for superior skin protection from harsh summer elements for active families and to help prevent sunburn and decrease the risk of skin cancer caused by the sun when used as directed
- Clinically proven to help defend against the signs of sun and water damage to prevent sunburn, this face & body sunscreen stick is made with Helioplex, a sunscreen technology with superior broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection
This sunblock stick from Neutrogena has a high protection factor and it also ensures that you’re applying enough to completely protect your skin. One of the best occasions to use this is when you only have a little bit of skin showing, such as your arms or your legs, and you can keep applying it to these small areas in a convenient and stain-free way.
Coola Organic Sunscreen & Sunblock Body Lotion SPF 50
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: COOLA formulates with the freshest ingredients to insure the most biodynamic results, free from pesticides and other nasty bi-products. We use 70%+ Certified Organic ingredients to help protect you and the environment you live in.
- BROAD SPECTRUM SPF 50: A broad-spectrum, moisturizing lotion sunscreen with antioxidants for enhanced UV protection that is water resistant up to 80 minutes.
Luckily, this sunscreen, and the others in the collection, ticks all the boxes in your sunscreen checklist. It’s also reef-safe, cruelty-free and the list goes on – basically, this sunscreen has all the ethical values you could wish for.
Sunscreen is important for your tattoos, and it can protect them from fading. If you were stuck on finding an effective, pleasant sunscreen you could use on your tattoo, hopefully now you know what you want to buy, or you have a good idea of what you’re looking for. Now you can outside with confidence that your tattoo will retain its strong pigment and you’re protecting your skin.