Self-tanners are constantly changing and evolving to incorporate new scientific formulas and techniques, increasing their performance, which makes it even harder to decide which one you should get. If you are looking for a good self-tanner, read on to find something suitable for you!
What is a good self-tanner for body and legs?
Bondi Sands Self-Tanning Foam
- Bondi Sands Self Tanning Foam is a lightweight, tanner that’s simple to apply and gives a flawless finish, every time; Simply smooth on the weightless self tanning foam for an even, streak-free, bronzed tan
- Our unique, salon quality formula is enriched with aloe vera and coconut, for the ultimate natural, bronzed glow
If you click Buy on Amazon and make a purchase, I'll earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.Bondi Sands, one of the most iconic names in the tanning industry, have a variety of different formulas for different occasions and purposes, to suit different people and different lifestyles, but their original self-tanning foam will forever be one of the best formulas ever created.
It has green undertones which is something to look for if you’re avoiding orangeness, the formula is 100% streak-free, and the scent is beautiful – what more could you ask for! Also, the price is reasonably affordable for such high-quality, compared to other alternatives.
- Use this tanning foam with an application mitt to ensure the best results and prevent any streaks from appearing, even though this product is basically failproof.
- Remember to prepare the skin appropriately and thoroughly prior to using your self-tanning foam, as insufficient preparation can make your self-tanner difficult to apply, and not give it as flawless of a finish as expected.
St. Tropez Self-Tan Bronzing Mousse
- Our most iconic, fool proof and natural-looking tan. This tinted tanning mousse is easy-to-apply, streak-free and adapts to your skin tone for up to 10 days wear with no self tan smell. Best for first time tanners or trusted results time and again
- Long-lasting, lightweight and 100% clean fake tan. Providing 24 hours hydration, quick drying and non-sticky
If you click Buy on Amazon and make a purchase, I'll earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.As well as Bondi Sands, St. Tropez is another well-known, trustworthy, and unbeatable name in the world of fake tan. With impressive self-tanning and spray tanning formulas, you can be sure that St. Tropez won’t let you down.
This bronzing mousse is also an original one (clearly these are the best!) which has stood the test of time against all other solutions which have come and gone over the years. One of the most noticeable things is how smoothly the product glides onto the skin, requiring very little blending or precision.
- Use a nourishing moisturiser or body lotion which is suitable to be used alongside a self-tanner, to keep your skin supple, smooth and prevent too much fade.
- Use tanning drops to top up you tan in areas which are washed more often, and more prone to fading, such as the face or hands.
What is a good self-tanner for face?
Collistar Magic Self-Tanning Drops
- Moisturizing and anti-aging quaities.
If you click Buy on Amazon and make a purchase, I'll earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.Although these self-tanning drops are on the slightly pricier side, they are undoubtedly worth every penny. Self-tanning drops generally last longer, as well, as you use less of them each time you apply the tan.
One of the reasons these self-tanning drops are good for the face is because they are non-comedogenic, meaning they won’t clog your pores on your face. This is good because it means the tanning drops shouldn’t be any cause for breakouts, blackheads, or any other skincare concern.
- Use these self-tanning drops to top up a tan on places like the face or hands a few days after the initial application, as the self-tanner fades much faster in these areas than in others, as they are wash much more often.
- Mix these tanning drops into a face moisturiser or serum to create an easy-to-work-with consistency to rub into each area of the face.
St. Tropez Self-Tan Purity Bronzing Water Face Mist
- Clear, refreshing and lightweight with no need to rinse off
- Skin looked refreshed and revived after using
Not to mention, it’s easy to create a natural-looking tan for multiple reasons, as the colour is gradual and buildable, so you can keep on applying it until you reach your desired shade. It also doesn’t apply too thick, so it’s not like you’re caking on a bunch of products all at once.
- Be cautious to remember exactly where you have or haven’t sprayed this mist, as it’s easy to forget when the formula is clear and subsequently difficult to tell where it has been applied.
- Use a small bronzing application mitt, cloth, or similar tool to gently blend in the spray after it has been applied, to ensure even coverage and prevent any freckled areas which may occur.
What makes a good self-tanner?
When you’re new to self-tanning, it can be difficult to even know what you are looking for in a self-tanner. Despite what some products promote, you may not know what is needed to make a natural-looking, but effective, tan.
When choosing your self-tanner, or applying it, these are some things you should think about:
- Green undertones: although this sounds unnatural, a self-tanner with green undertones looks most natural on anyone’s skin. Green is the opposite of an orange undertone, so you don’t need to worry about looking orange and it will complement your natural skin too.
- Pigment: a good self-tanner should have a good pigment, even if it’s a light one. In self-tanners where there is too little pigment, the colour isn’t properly dispersed throughout the product, and it can end up looking streaky.
- Shelf life: all self-tanners have expiration dates, and you should be aware of these when using a self-tanner. Using it past the expiry date can make even the best self-tanner turn bad.
- Formula: all self-tanners come in different forms, such as mousses or lotions, and these can be a game-changer depending on your skin. Most people find that they prefer one specific self-tanner formula and stick with this, as it suits their lifestyle best, so find yours.
- Preparation: although this doesn’t concern the actual product itself, the preparation steps needed before a self-tan should never be skipped and doing so can cause problems for any self-tanner you use. Find out how to prepare your skin suitably and always follow this routine.
- Lasting time: self-tanners which last well on your skin are so useful and you should definitely look into this when buying a self-tanner to save your time.
- Application time: some self-tanners come in an ‘express’ form, which makes them develop faster than regular ones. Take a look at how long various self-tanners take to apply and use your judgement to decide which will suit you and your lifestyle best.
Despite the vast array of products available, which can seem really hard to navigate, there are always some products which stand out and, if you’re new to self-tanning, you’ll eventually recognise certain products or brands which you know are reliable for giving a quality tan. Now you know what products good self-tanners are, you can go away and get tanning!