There are multiple things you have to consider before getting a spray tan, such as when to shave, as this does make a difference to the final result. If you’re not sure about when to shave before a spray tan, or anything else shaving-related, read on for the answers.
When should you shave before a spray tan?
Although it may not seem very important, shaving is a form of preparation before your spray tan, which is just as important as any other step, and does need to be thought about when you are considering getting a spray tan. There are specific things to be remembered when shaving anyway, and even more when it relates to spray tanning.
If you are looking to shave ready for your new glow, which you shouldn’t feel like you have to, by the way, you’ll have to include some careful planning beforehand. The best time to shave before a spray tan is 24 hours. Your ideal routine is to exfoliate your skin, and follow this by shaving it, and then allowing around 24 hours before either applying your own spray tan or going to the salon.
The reason you should wait this time before applying your spray tan is because, when you shave, the sharp razor blades create small micro-cuts in the skin, and can also open the pores, which are potential deposition points for the solution to settle. In other words, you could end up with small spots of darker tan across your skin if you don’t allow enough time for the skin to settle.
Also read: How Long Before & After Spray Tan Can You Shower? (Guide)
Are there any specific parts of the body that have to be shaved?
As mentioned, there is no necessity to shave your legs or any part of your body before a spray tan, but there are still a few recommendations from salonists, professionals and beauticians themselves.
From their point of view, and the expertise, it is advised that you shave your legs and underarms if you are choosing to shave at all, as these are the points at which a hairless surface can help the tan to absorb into the skin easier, and therefore develop better. Obviously, you could shave other areas of the body as well, as it’s completely your choice, but these are the spots which will benefit your tan the most, and making your tan look more flawless and natural.
No matter where you choose to shave, the important thing is that you leave your shaved skin enough time to ‘heal’.
What if I don’t shave before visiting the spray tan salon?
Not shaving before visiting the tanning salon is, of course, a personal choice, and you shouldn’t feel like you need to shave at all. For most people, shaving is just about aesthetics, and doesn’t really have much practical use at all.
Soft, shaved skin doesn’t have any difference to the actual spray tanning application itself, as long as your skin is moisturised enough, but it must be done at a certain time prior to your salon appointment if you are going to shave. Forgetting to shave before your appointment, if you do want smooth skin, isn’t too big of a deal, but you’ll have to wait for some time before you shave afterwards.
If you want more information about what it’s like to shave after you’ve gotten your spray tan, read on to find out about all the details.
Also read: Best Lotions To Use After A Spray Tan (Recommended Products)
Does spray tan come off when you shave?
If you shave your legs often, you’ll know that it does involve a little exfoliation of the skin, even if you don’t use an exfoliating mitt or scrub beforehand. This is because of the sharpness of the razor blades which, while they remove your hairs, they also remove some of the dead skin on the top layer of your legs.
Unfortunately, you will find that, post-spray tan, shaving your legs can result in a little fade, especially if you haven’t allowed the solution enough time to fully develop. For this reason, it’s best to wait at least 24 hours after your application before shaving to avoid as much fad as possible.
Nevertheless, you shouldn’t be too afraid to shave after your tanning appointment, as the tan which comes off shouldn’t be too excessive, as long as you’re gentle and don’t irritate your skin too much. If this is something that bothers you, you could always decide to wax instead, as this will keep the hair away for longer.
- WHY WE LOVE THE WAXING KIT - "I was shocked that this wax consistently removes the entire hair, tip to root." Nothing will ever compare if you are getting salon-grade hair-removal result that lasts up to 6 weeks!
- DIY BIKINI/BRAZILIAN WAX - When it comes to sensitive spots, hard wax definitely is a better choice since it would only stick to the hairs (not skin, ouch!). Friendly to any wax newbie, this at home waxing starter kit will get the unwanted coarse & fine body hair removed while save your Bigg...
- TWO SIZES & SATISFIED - GleeBee wax strips provide two of the most popular sizes (9*18 and 5*10) for you to mix and use, to help remove your unwanted hair.
- EASY & CONVENIENT - GleeBee waxing strips can be quickly melted by your hand temperature, and perfectly fit on your skin. No microwave or wax warmers are needed.
- 💋HARD WAX FOR SENSITIVE SKIN: Strip free formula for sensitive and delicate area. Get super soft skin with our specially formulated wax that sticks to HAIR not SKIN. NO MORE IRRITATION - NO MORE INFLAMMATIONS!
- 💋SPECIAL FACIAL WAX：Facial waxing is a process of semi-permanent hair removal in which pink face wax is used to remove unwanted thin and fine facial hair and or anywhere you find unwanted peach fuzz. You can do it at home with our hard wax kit, start with a flawlessly fresh face to master the “no-makeup” makeup look or just go bare.
If you click Buy on Amazon and make a purchase, I'll earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
How Much Does Spray Tan Cost? (Comparing Studios vs DIY)
How To Spray Tan With Eyelash Extensions? (Guide)
Shaving your underarms or legs is an element of preparation before you get a spray tan and, even as such a fine detail, must be planned carefully to ensure that it yields the best results possible. As long as you leave 24 hours after shaving before your appointment, you can expect that it all turns out fine!